Shared By : Dr. Javed Parvez ( M.D., D.M. Cardiology, PDF Consultant Cardiologist, Cardiac Electrophysiologist )
Monitoring & Symptoms
- Monitoring of Blood Pressure is a very key element of effective Blood Pressure Management.
- Monitoring your blood pressure using a home blood pressure monitor can be a really useful way of seeing what your blood pressure is like in your daily life.
- Regular clinic visit and blood pressure check-up is an important part of keeping your blood pressure under control. Consult a doctor regularly for better blood pressure management.
- Skipping Blood pressure medicines can prove to be very dangerous as a sudden surge in Blood Pressure may lead to stroke and even death. So have your prescribed medicines regularly for better management.
- It is said that Ignorance is Bliss, but ignoring blood pressure symptoms like Headache, Dizziness, Shortness of Breath and Blurred Vision can prove to be dangerous. Visit your cardiologist and get yourself checked if such symptoms arise.
- Snoring regularly may be an indication of a weak heart, check your blood pressure immediately if you or someone in your family snores regularly.
- Lifestyle changes, such as eating a heart-healthy diet and exercising more, can help reduce high blood pressure. So change your lifestyle today for a better & healthier tomorrow.
- Eating a balanced diet enables you to control your Blood Pressure and keeps you safe from cardiac events.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eating a diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and low on saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure.
- If anyone in your family has High blood pressure then encourage them to walk regularly, take regular medicines and have a low salt diet.
- Getting 8 hours of sleep regularly can be a very healthy habit and can control blood pressure and increase overall health.
- Take 15 to 20 minutes a day to sit quietly and breathe deeply. This will calm your nerves and control your blood pressure if practiced regularly.
- Laughter is the best medicine and it definitely is beneficial in relieving Hypertension. Any activity which makes you laugh is recommended if you are a blood pressure patient.
- Listening to music reduces stress and can control Blood pressure. So listen to your favorite music and control your blood pressure.
- Anger management along with a balanced diet can help a great deal in effective management of blood pressure
- Body produces a surge of hormones when you are in a stressful situation which increases your blood pressure. Therefore, reduce stress by relaxing yourself.
- As your body weight increases, your blood pressure can rise. Keep your weight under control.
- Maintaining a healthy weight helps control Blood Pressure and keeps you healthy and energetic.
- Along with weight reduction, you should also keep an eye on your waistline. Carrying too much weight around your waist can put you at greater risk of high blood pressure.
- Regular exercise will enable you to control your Blood Pressure and improve your overall health.
- Exercising for 150 minutes in a week can prove to be beneficial in controlling Blood pressure and overall good health.
- Taking the stairs at office or home instead of the lift can prove to be a very healthy habit for your heart and body.
- Aerobic physical activity like brisk walking, swimming, cycling and running helps lower high blood pressure.
- Yoga gives positive energy to your body and mind. It helps to lower your high blood pressure. So do Yoga regularly.
- Meditation is an excellent way to help reduce high blood pressure naturally. When we meditate, our stress levels fall significantly, and all systems within the body begin to normalize. Therefore meditate daily and feel the benefits.
- High blood pressure can be hereditary. So if you have a family history of Hypertension then it is advised to control salt intake, maintain body weight and monitor your blood pressure from an early adult age.
- Too much salt holds water inside the body and raises blood pressure. Eat healthy diet and reduce salt intake to maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Just 1 level teaspoon of salt has 2,300 mg of sodium. Use herbs or spices to add flavor to your food instead of table salt.
- If you don’t feel you can drastically reduce the sodium in your diet suddenly, cut back gradually. Your palate will adjust over time.
Tobacco & Alcohol Risk
- Tobacco increases the risk for high blood pressure. Therefore, Quit smoking in order to keep your Blood pressure under control.
- Stopping habits like Smoking and consumption of tobacco products will help control Blood Pressure and maintain overall good health.
- Drinking too much alcohol can raise your blood pressure. Limiting alcohol consumption can also help to prevent high blood pressure.
- Chewing tobacco causes an immediate and temporary rise in blood pressure. It also damages the lining of artery walls, causing arteries to narrow and increasing blood pressure. Avoid tobacco for better Blood Pressure management and overall health.
Increase Potassium Intake
When Food rich in potassium are important in managing blood pressure. So have more Bananas, Spinach, Coconut Water, Carrot Juice and Yoghurt.
When the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormone or produces too much thyroid hormone, high blood pressure can result. So check your thyroid levels if you are a hypertensive for better management.
High blood pressure can stress your heart and cause problems during pregnancy. So, it is advisable to regularly check your blood pressure during pregnancy.
High blood pressure can damage blood vessels in the kidneys, reducing their ability to work properly and is one of the leading causes of kidney failure. Therefore, it’s important to have your blood pressure checked regularly.
Certain medications like pain killers, alcohol, steroid can cause high blood pressure. Be careful while taking such medications.
People with high blood pressure have an almost 60% increased risk of developing diabetes. Therefore, if you have diabetes you should aim to keep your blood pressure well controlled.